a garden in utah.

11:32 AM

With all the renovations we’ve been doing inside the house, we haven’t had much time to focus on the outside. But our new backyard is pretty sad looking. And I’m just not ok with that.

I mean, just look:



 So boring right? Well, I believe this backyard has great potential!

I’ve been hard at work these last few weeks scouring the internet for anything I can find on backyards and gardening in Utah. The vegetable garden part of my backyard will take up its own post, so stay tuned, but I wanted to share some information I've gathered on good flowers to plant in Utah and good combos for the different times of year. This isn't a comprehensive list, just things I've found so far. I'd love tips on Utah gardening if anyone has any!




Some flower ideas (annuals):

·      Fountain grasses

·      Blanket Flowers 

·      Globe amaranth

·      Lantana

·      Vinca

·      Rose Moss

·      Strawflower

·      Sweet alyssum

·      Verbena

·      Zinnia 

·      Gazania

·      Begonias

·      Impatients

·      Geraniums

·      Ageratums


Some flower ideas (perennials):

·      Fountain grasses

·      Butterfly Bushes

·      Hydrangeas

·      Daisies

·      Lavender

·      Bellflower

·      Golden Rod

·      Clematis

·      Sweet William

·      October Daphne Sedum

·      Golden Angelina Sedum

·      Hollowed flowers

·      Tall flowers

·      Peonies
 

Flower combo ideas:
 
Early summer blooming:

Tall– Becky Shasta daisy

Medium– Geranium Rozanne

Short– Cheddar Pinks Dianthus 


Mid summer blooming:

Tall– Jupiter's Beard Centranthus Ruber

Medium– Salvia May Night

Short– Coreopsis Early Sunrise 


Late summer blooming:

Tall– Agastache Blue Fortune

Medium– Golden Rod Little Lemon, Solidago

Short– October Daphne Sedum

And I learned from a friend that a good rule for layering is taller shrubs/bushes, medium-sized perennials, and small annuals. 

I hope this list is as helpful to you as it is for me. And towards the end of the year, hopefully I'll have some pretty pictures to post when our backyard is transformed from blah to a gorgeous and magical garden. We'll see how things go.

Any help or tips are much appreciated!

You Might Also Like

0 comments