pink fluffy sugar cookies.

10:00 AM



I was absolutely craving a fluffy sugar cookie after my friend mentioned it to me the other day. I had never really made a fluffy sugar cookie before, just the ones that you quickly bake and frost and give to your neighbors at Christmastime. So when I got home, I checked out a few different recipes, and picked the one I thought sounded extra tasty. 

I was also in a mood that day because it was snowing—the kind of mood you get in where you feel very happy at home and domestic. Because of that, I decided to follow the recipe exactly the way it told me to mix the ingredients together. Honestly, I normally don’t mix the dry ingredients together before the wet, and will sometimes mix rather than fold. And they always seem to turn out just fine. But not that day. That day I was going to go the extra mile. I was going to make Betty Crocker proud. 

One of the parts of this recipe tells you to sift the dry ingredients together. “Ok, I can do that no problem,” I thought. I break out my sifter, put all the dry ingredients in, hold it over a bowl, and sift. 

 Sift sift. 

 Sift sift. 

Sift sift. 

 Sift sift. 

 Sift sift. 

I looked into the bowl, and a very small pile of the flour mix had made it through the sifter. Sift sift sift sift. Flour dust slowly fell to the top of the pile. 

Sigh. 

Sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift sift— 

Barely a cup of the mixture had made its way through. Um yeah ok. This is definitely not going to work. 

So I just took the dry ingredients, put them in a bowl, and whisked them together before I mixed with the wet ingredients. Worked like a charm. Moral of the story: Whatever you do, don’t sift if you value your time and sanity. 

Back to the recipe. These cookies are amazing. I'm not sure what their official title is, but saying "pink fluffy sugar cookie" makes me happy every time. So that's what I call them. They look like a bakery cookie, and are light and soft and sweet and lovely and super tasty. 




Fluffy Sugar Cookie and Frosting 

Cookies— 
1 cup butter 
1 cup sugar 
2 eggs 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
3 cups of flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 cup sour cream, or thick vanilla yogurt

Cream butter and sugar together, then slowly add eggs, and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together, or whisk them together, then add dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the sour cream, mix until smooth. Chill 2 to 3 hours.  Roll out to 1/4 - 1/3 " thick depending on your preference and cut into shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on bottom and let cool. 

Butter Frosting— 
4 tablespoons butter
 
2 1/3 cup powdered sugar
 
Milk 
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
 

If you like a lot of frosting, you will want to double this recipe.

Put butter in bowl and beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add about half the powdered sugar. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk and the vanilla. Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add more milk if needed. Add food coloring and frost.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. totally making these when I get off work tonight. =) love your blog, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and laughed the day that I read this months ago, and wrote down the recipe to try. They are really AMAZING! Thank you so much for the recipe! But I have to admit, I like the name Danielle Karr's Pink Fluffy Clouds better. Makes me think of the story of you making them which then makes me smile to myself!

    ReplyDelete